A HOUSE ON FIRE One summer night, I was sleeping on the terrace of my house. A cool breeze was blowing and I was in sweet slumber. Suddenly, I heard the cries of people. I woke up and found that a house in my neighbour was on fire. The house belonged to Mr. Das. I was that smoke and flames were raising high to the sky. People were rushing with buckets of water towards the house. I immediately rang up the fire station. Then I too started throwing water on the house on fire. I brought my garden hose and attached it to the tap. The women and children of the house were crying bitterly. I called them to my house and made them comfortable. Some daring men went inside and started throwing their household belongings out of the window. However, much could not be saved. Mr. Das was inconsolable. The flames were rising higher and higher. Just then two fire brigade engines arrived. Soon, the firemen brought the fire under control. Everybody was praising the firemen. There was a big loss of Mr. Das’s property. A major portion of the house had fallen. Household things were still smoldering. Luckily, there was no loss of life.
A HOUSE ON FIRE It was midnight, when hands of clock joined palms. There was deep silence everywhere. I was enjoying a sound sleep in my room with my younger brother. All of a sudden, I was awakened by noise of foot steps outside. It appeared as if the people were running in the street. I got up and peeped down the window. I came to know that the house of one my neighbor was ablaze. In no time I was there on the spot. The house was completely enveloped in fire. A strong wind fanned the fire. The flames leapt to sky giving out the clouds of smoke. The owner of house was beating his breast, crying “I am undone!, I have lost all!” The articles were lying scattered in the street. There was endless hurry and excitement. Many men were busy in bringing buckets of water while others poured it on the fire. I too, joined them. We tried our best to put out the fire, but all our efforts were in vain. Soon the whole building with everything in it was burnt to ashes. The fire brigade was rung up. In no time it was there. A crew of active men in brass helmets got to... read more
A FIRE ACCIDENT It was 4 o’clock in the afternoon. I was busy in doing my lessons and homework. Mother was engaged in the kitchen, preparing tea for me. Suddenly, there were shouts and cries and a lot of confused noise. Immediately I rushed out to find out what was all that. I was told that the jhuggis in the neighbourhood were in flames. They had caught fire and it was raging dangerously. I ran to the place where the fire was raging. I found all the jhuggis on fire. The women, children and men of these huts and jhuggis were simply crying, shouting and wailing helplessly. A big crowd had collected. Amidst hue and cry some of the people were throwing water, others were throwing dust, and still others beat the fire with sticks and rods. But gradually the fire engulfed the whole of dwellings helped by the swift winds. It was a horrible scene which I can never forget. The poor labourers and workers living there saw their meager belongings burning in the flames. And they were quite helpless. Huge and high columns of smoke and flames were there. People could do nothing except crying and dewailing at their loss. In the meanwhile somebody had the good... read more