HOW TO BE THE BEST BUYER? BE A SMART SHOPPER
Its said, “Many people buy things they don’t need, to impress those whom they don’t like.” Though it is funny, a survey says it is true.
Prior to going on a shopping spree, plan your purchase. A well crafted plan about purchasing only the bare essentials and that too, within the shoestring budget, not only saves money, but space also in the house.
Note down what to buy and at where. If it is furniture, then going for the space saving ones will be more apt. As and when possible, take your children also, so that they will gain experience in smart shopping.
Before that, see the advertisement in newspapers and TV to know if there is any discount given and if so, go for that. At times, some advertisers attach a coupon which upon production will earn more discounts. However, chalk out a list of things to be purchased and their approximate prices. Give some allowance. This will save embarrassment when the payment to be made, exceeds your budget.
The list here under will be useful before you set off.
- Never buy anything that does not figure in the list.
- Purchase can be classified into two categories: one’s needs and wants. Needs are the bare necessities and wants are the ones even without which the house would not be deprived of.
- Before leaving home, set aside the amount of your purchase. While ensuring that the purchase does not overlap your budget, do not go for anything else even if there is any money left with you after your shopping.
- Keep the balance money separately, so that it would be useful when next you go for shopping.
- Go for the product carrying the brand name of a reputed company. Nowadays there are many Made- in-China cheap electric & electronic goods in the market.
- They are, of course, cheaper, but of substandard quality and there is no warranty or guarantee given for them. So, never compromise on quality of electric & electronic commodities. They might turn out to be fatal.
- Ask for the bill against all purchase, including medicines and drugs.
- The one place where people, in general, do not demand bill, is the jewellery shop as getting the bill costs more. In such cases, go to a reputed jeweler and get the roughly written hand
- Defence canteen sells at incredibly reduced rates. Do not approach any unknown soldiers for this.
- Eat well before going out. It is the empty stomach and hunger that forces one to buy things in haste.
- Check the bill and warranty/guarantee card for the seller’s signature, seal and date of purchase. Keep all these relevant papers in order. This will help when the products fail, forcing you to refer to the consumer court.
- Never buy petrol from small outlets and do not buy anything at the doorstep.
- Enquire friends or relatives, at least three or four persons and seek their opinion about the product before buying. Read the instruction manual well and follow the procedures there in.