SAVING OUR ENVIRONMENT – AN S.O.S. DISTRESS CALL
Said the great mind, Leibniz, “The present is great with the future!” It is more pertinent now as every nation is screaming its head off for a common cause. And that is the depletion of the ozone layer! The need of the hour is listed below.
We enjoy our ancestor’s property, culture, trees planted by them, their indelible high moral values, teachings and many such things. But what is our contribution for our next generation? Try this checklist. It is pertaining to global warming, an alarming issue about the depleting ozone layer and how to keep it alive, and thereby help our next generation.
- Use the public or private transports when commuting to schools and colleges.
- To visit a short distance, use bicycles and not 2 wheelers or cars. This way you can reduce smoke emission.
- Put out lights and other similar things when not in use.
- Plant more saplings. Besides shadows, trees absorb carbon dioxide and emit oxygen.
- Save more water by fewer methods. Do not keep the wash basin tap open when shaving or brushing your teeth. Shower bath is best. It has been experimented that by using showers more water can be saved.
- Make sure that only requisite water is used by the servants and maids when dishwashing or washing clothes or watering the gardens.
- Always purchase rechargeable batteries, if possible.
- To reduce junk, use E-mail rather than writing.
- Always use both sides of the paper.
- Put out the main switch when going out even for a few hours.
- Buy only what is necessary and cut down expenses and wastages.
- Place the AC unit under cover instead of leaving it exposed to the sun.
- Avoid using disposable plates, cups and other things wherever possible.
- To avoid electrical fires due to short circuit, insulate your premises.
- Elders, like executives working in a firm, can do this: instead of taking their cars, they can jointly share the car ride between three or fourby meeting at one place en route to the office. It saves money, fuel as well as the environment.
- Do not burn the garbage or the worn out rubber products. It pollutes the air.
- It is better to keep the temperature of fridge at the minimum, from 5 to 10 degree C.
- When not in use, unplug all electrical connections.
- Keep the interior and exterior of the house litter free. For inside cleansing, use vacuum cleaner.
- Have your vehicles emission tested at regular intervals.
- Thanks to the Indian railways that once used steam locos like WP, WG, XB, XD, NS class in broad gauge, and YP and YG class in meter gauge. These locos had emitted thick black smoke. Later, diesel locos like WDM2, WDM7 and WDP minimized the emission. But from the late 70s, electric locos like WAG, WAM 4 and then WAP have totally curbed out this air pollution.
The NMR still uses steam locos. May be it is a heritage train as per UNESCO.
However, it is time diesel locos are used.